Contrary to popular belief, I am not a vegetarian for health and fitness purposes. In fact, I have a helpless and hopeless love affair with all things sweet and indulgent. If it’s legal to marry chocolate, I will.
November last year, I had an obsessive one-morning-stand with then-new breakfast offering from McDonald’s: double chocolate pancakes. It’s two pieces of pancakes with unhealthy drizzling of chocolate syrup and sprinkling of crushed Oreos. I ate it just once: it was too sweet and one-dimensional. But it seriously gave me nightmares. All I could think of was making a dairy-free and egg-free version once my 21-day Daniel Fast in December was over. But when the 21 days were done, I still had to finish all the New Year’s fruits and soy milk in the fridge so I didn’t have the opportunity to live my pancake fantasy.
Then, last night Mama said she wanted pancakes for breakfast. Being Filipinos, my family is the rice-for-every-meal type of eaters, so Mama asking for a Western breakfast happens once in a blue moon and which I’m just too happy to oblige. Finally! The opportunity for my double chocolate pancake dreams.
Here are the ingredients and methods for 4 servings:
For the pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the chocolate syrup
- 4 pieces Malagos 65% Dark Chocolate (purchased from The Gift Farm)
- 2-4 tbsp soy milk (depending on the consistency you’re going for)
- 8 pieces mini Oreos, crushed (Oreos are accidentally vegan, FYI)
- Heat a slightly greased non-stick pan over low fire.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Add in soy milk and oil and stir until just combined. (Every pancake-loving person knows the commandment: Thou shalt not overmix.)
- Ladle 1/8 cup batter to the heated pan. Flip when bubbles form.
- Plate. The recipe makes 8 pancakes. Serve 2 for each person.
- Using the bain marie method, melt the chocolate with the soy milk. Adjust liquid according to your personal preference. (I improvised using a bowl over a saucepan with simmering water.)
- Drizzle chocolate over pancakes and sprinkle with crushed Oreos.
That’s basically it. Easy, peasy vegetarian double chocolate pancakes. I love the darkness of the chocolate syrup, unlike the sweet-on-sweet-on-sweet McDonalds version.
Heaven is dessert for breakfast.